With decades of experience, we’ve answered all kinds of questions from every future parent who has walked through our doors. Here are among the most frequently asked, but be sure to check with your doctor if you have any other questions or need advice.
Do I need to pre-register to have my baby at UT Health Tyler?
Yes, most families come in beforehand to complete the admission paperwork so everything is ready for them at their chosen UT Health Tyler Family Birthplace location when the time comes.
Should I take classes to prepare me for caring for my baby?
It’s a good idea to enroll in basic baby care classes to help you be prepared. Parents who go through classes feel more confident with the labor process, delivery and caring for their baby. UT Health Tyler offers a monthly childbirth preparation class which includes a tour of the UT Health Tyler Family Birthplace.
What should I bring to the hospital for my delivery?
Although every mother-to-be has her own preferences for what she wants to bring with her, we have a few recommendations based on our experience and what we have available for you during your stay with us:
- infant car seat
- cellphone and charger
- camera/video camera and batteries
- baby book (for first footprints and to record all of those first moments)
- massagers and soothing music for during labor
- extra or favorite blankets and pillows
- comfortable change of clothes
- pre-washed baby clothes and blankets for the ride home (baby clothes will be provided during your hospital stay)
- house shoes and a robe
- toiletries such as deodorant, makeup, hairspray, etc. (toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, conditioner and sanitary napkins are available in the hospital)
If you have any other questions, please reach out to your doctor or our UT Health East Texas Family Birthplace locations.
UT Health Athens Family Birthplace, 903-676-2117
UT Health Henderson Family Birthplace, 903-655-3897
UT Health Jacksonville Family Birthplace, 903-541-5367
UT Health Tyler Family Birthplace, 903-594-2645