UT Health Tyler Volunteers
The volunteers at UT Health Tyler contribute thousands of hours of service each year in support the mission of UT Health Tyler by providing services with compassion, excellence and efficiency. They offer vital assistance in clinical and support areas of the hospital and raise significant funds through our UT Health Tyler Gift Shop and other fundraising initiatives. These charitable funds then benefit the hospital and its services. For example, the UT Health Tyler volunteers most recently provided a cumulative gift of $1 million to benefit UT Health Tyler’s trauma programs and facilities.
It is the mission of the UT Health Tyler volunteers to exemplify the spirit of community through efforts that foster the hospital’s mission of care and outreach to the people and communities of East Texas.
- To display philanthropy through service reflecting UT Health Tyler's commitment to guest relations and excellence in patient care.
- To perform tasks that lighten the load of professional staff members.
- To raise funds to support UT Health Tyler's charitable efforts and further the hospital’s outreach, services and technology.
- To assist with special projects throughout the year.
UT Health Tyler welcomes adult women and men who are energetic, willing to give of their time and have a heart for hospital service.
Requirements and dates to know prior to application for Summer 2018:
- The student must be entering the 10th grade or above when they return to high school in the fall of 2018
- The student must be available to participate in the program Monday June 4 through Friday, July 13.
- New junior volunteers must attend orientation on Monday, June 4, 8 a.m. – 1 p.m. (no make-ups, no exceptions). Returning junior volunteers will need to be there from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Upon acceptance, a junior volunteer commits to six weeks of service through placements within the hospital – two shifts per week of four hours each. Shifts are Monday through Thursday 8 a.m. – noon. and 12:30 – 4:30 p.m. Shifts may be worked on the same day or on two different days.
- Each junior volunteer earns a minimum of 48 hours of service during the summer and is honored with a personalized certificate. One week’s absence is permitted, but the hours missed must be made up during the six-week program.
Our junior volunteers will:
- Have opportunities to tour hospital departments
- Participate in the UT Health Tyler Leadership Academy, a series of four programs that enhance life skills and help prepare teens for the college and career world
- Plan and participate in a fundraising project that will benefit a particular program of the hospital
- Have fun and meet new friends
Serving as an UT Health Tyler junior volunteer is a great way to pick up new skills, interact with others, gain community service hours for school and provide valuable service to the community. Applications are accepted each spring.