UT Health Tyler Volunteers
The volunteers at UT Health Tyler contribute thousands of hours of service each year in support the mission of UT Health Tyler by providing services with compassion, excellence and efficiency. They offer vital assistance in clinical and support areas of the hospital and raise significant funds through our UT Health Tyler Gift Shop and other fundraising initiatives. These charitable funds then benefit the hospital and its services. For example, the UT Health Tyler volunteers most recently provided a cumulative gift of $1 million to benefit UT Health Tyler’s trauma programs and facilities.
It is the mission of the UT Health Tyler volunteers to exemplify the spirit of community through efforts that foster the hospital’s mission of care and outreach to the people and communities of East Texas.
- To display philanthropy through service reflecting UT Health Tyler's commitment to guest relations and excellence in patient care.
- To perform tasks that lighten the load of professional staff members.
- To raise funds to support UT Health Tyler's charitable efforts and further the hospital’s outreach, services and technology.
- To assist with special projects throughout the year.
UT Health Tyler welcomes adult women and men who are energetic, willing to give of their time and have a heart for hospital service.
To volunteer at UT Health, here’s what you need to know…
There are two different volunteer programs — adult and junior. Junior volunteers help during the summer only and they must be between the ages of 14 and 18.
Volunteers must go through an application process and agree to volunteer at least four hours of services each week. To apply online, click the adult application link below:
If you need help or would like to talk to our volunteer services recruiter, call 903.531.8199.
Requirements and dates to know prior to application for Summer 2019:
- The student must be entering the 10th grade or above when they return to high school in the fall of 2019
- The student must be available to participate in the program Monday, June 3, through Friday, June 28.
- New junior volunteers and returning volunteers must attend orientation on Tuesday, June 4, 8 a.m.–noon in the UT Health Tyler Pavilion. (No make-ups, no exceptions).
- Upon acceptance, a junior volunteer commits to four weeks of service through placements within the hospital. Three, four-hour shifts per week are needed to meet the requirement of 48 hours. Shifts are Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m.–noon and 12:30–4:30 p.m. Shifts may be worked on the same day, or you may schedule on multiple days. Coordinators will work with you to arrange your schedule.
- Each junior volunteer is required to volunteer a minimum of 48 hours of service during the summer and is honored with a personalized certificate. Necessary absences are permitted, but the hours missed must be made up during the four-week program. Additional make-up days will be available July 2 and July 3.
- Attendance at the leadership academy is mandatory on Thursday, June 20, from 8 a.m.–4 p.m. at the UT Health Tyler Pavilion. You will learn from professional hospital staff about various department responsibilities and service to our patients. Tours will also be included in the academy.
Our junior volunteers will have fun, make new friends, gain new skills, accumulate service hours and complete the program with a clearer vision of their future careers.